Man’s leg amputated after maggot infection

Man’s leg amputated after maggot infection

A Fife man who had his leg amputated had to have his second leg amputated after medics allowed a wound to become infected with maggots.

Medics failed to treat a foot ulcer after he was sent home from hospital.

 

A GP practice, which has not been named, was responsible for the care of the man’s wound but failed to check it until a visiting nurse made the horrifying discovery.

Following a health ombudsman complaint, which was upheld, the practice and NHS Fife apologised for failings and poor communication.

NHS Fife deputy chief executive Rona King said: “We fell short of our normal high standards of care. We have since reviewed our systems.”

You must be logged in to post a comment Login